What is Fleet Tracking?
Fleet tracking as the name suggests is the tracking of vehicles in the fleet - cars, trucks, vans, bikes, helicopters, aircrafts and other planes, ships and more. The main feature of vehicle tracking is location report, however, there are more features that fleet tracking offers.
There are cellular, wireless or satellite types of tracking systems, divided by the system of sending information. However, it is very common nowadays to find a combination of these types. Depending on the company needs, different combinations can be used. Many vehicle tracking systems also include anti-theft systems, which is a popular addition. There are, however, more features that can be useful useful when operating with fleet management.
Features of Fleet Tracking
- Location - fleet tracking allows the owner of the fleet to monitor the location, reached locations and routes taken. Some fleet tracking solutions offer also real-time reporting, with which it is possible to see the whereabouts of every vehicle at the given moment.
- Driver’s behaviour - with fleet tracking it is possible to monitor and check on the driver’s behaviour, such as speeding, breaks, routes taken, etc. This feature can help with optimizing fleet management as well as with driver trainings and policies.
- Fuel Consumption - connected to driver’s behavior, it is also possible to manage fuel consumption, which can lead to costs savings. Fleet tracking allows monitoring fuel loss, gives the information on possible places of refillment and overall information on fuel.
- Vehicle status - fleet tracking solutions allow the tracking of vehicle performance and its state. This can be fuel consumption, information on engine, maintenance and other information, which can help to improve lifecycle management.
- Alerts - alerts can be set up with fleet tracking solutions, in cases of unwanted driver behaviour, vehicle performance, problems and breakdowns, changes of routes, unauthorized use of vehicles and other issues.
- Anti-theft systems - as mentioned above, popular feature of vehicle tracking system is theft prevention systems, which also send alerts whenever there is an unauthorised use of vehicle and allow a remote control of the given vehicle.
- Reports - reports can facilitate analysis and serve for improvement of efficiency, productivity, spendings and lifecycle management.
Read more: Advantages of Efficient Fleet Management
These are the main features of fleet tracking solutions, however, every company offering vehicle tracking systems offers different features. There might be simple solutions with only the basic features to very complex tracking systems with more features than mentioned here. If a company is thinking about implementing a new tracking systems, it is needed to know the needs of the company, which features will benefit the company and have good return on investment and which features will not be as beneficial.
Active and Passive Tracking Systems
Vehicle tracking systems can be divided into passive and active. When using a passive tracking system, the information (route, location, speed and other information) collected will be saved and later retrieved. Active tracking systems send the information in real-time or almost real-time, which provides a better conditions for the management of fleet.
Real-time tracking solutions offer also better flexibility, the possibility to react immediately and can also lead to improved efficiency of overall fleet management. However, real-time tracking solutions can be more costly and therefore the company considering fleet tracking should be confident about the need of real-time tracking.
There are many factors on which a price of fleet tracking systems is dependent. Among the factors are the size of the fleet, desired features, desired types of tracking systems, hardware, the possibility of mobile applications and other factors.
The price can be also influenced by every company, as they offer different types of payment options. Some companies require up front payments, while some companies require a monthly fee. There are companies which offer buying, leasing or renting the systems. Therefore a prior research is also required regarding this matter. Buying a vehicle tracking system can be a cheaper solution, however, renting can give flexibility that might be needed in some companies.
When considering both options, one should be aware that professional car tracker cost starts from £169 yearly when renting, and £199 when making a purchase. Therefore, the estimated length of usage should be one of the main decision indicators.
Companies Offering Fleet Tracking Solutions
A research on fleet management companies should be also made in regards of additional services. Installation can be offered by these companies, which could be convenient, however, more costly.
As mentioned above, some companies offer also mobile applications, other offer web interface. Hardware might also differ in every company as well as tracking systems packages can include different features.
Read more: Fleet Solutions
If you are unsure about the different tracking systems or fleet management companies complete a quote request form and you will receive quotes free of charge from our sales team.